Cloud Certification Guide: How to Master & Showcase Your Expertise in AWS, Azure, & Google Cloud
Each of the ‘big three’ cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP) offer a number of cloud certification options that individuals can get to validate their cloud knowledge and skill set, while helping them advance in their careers and broaden the scope of their achievements.
Between the different PaaS specific, role-based (such as dev. or architect) or domain focused certifications, CSPs have numerous options available to help you bring more value to your organization as you keep up with the new business demands and continue to challenge yourself and grow with this world. With these certifications, you are more likely to achieve business goals thanks to your proficiency in specific areas — and benefit from an extra edge on your resume in your next job search.
Here’s an overview of the certifications offered by AWS, Azure, and GCP and what capabilities an individual validates by completing these certifications.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certifications
AWS offers certifications for different learning levels. The four different categories/levels of certifications include:
- Foundational: individuals should have at least six months of basic/foundational industry and AWS knowledge.
- Associate: expected to have one year of experience solving problems and implementing solutions with AWS.
- Professional: aimed for individuals that have two years of comprehensive experience operating, designing and solving solutions using AWS.
- Specialty: each of the certifications in this category are based on a technical AWS experience in the specialty domain. Requirements for these certifications can range from a minimum of 6 months to 5 years of required hands-on experience.
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
- Individuals are expected to effectively demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of AWS fundamentals and best practices.
AWS Certified Solutions Architect — Associate
- Individuals in an associate solutions architect role have 1+ years of experience designing available, fault-tolerant, scalable, and most importantly cost-efficient, distributed systems on AWS.
- Can demonstrate how to build and deploy applications on AWS.
AWS Certified SysOps Administrator — Associate
- This certification is meant for systems administrators that hold a systems operations role and have at least one year of hands-on experience in management, operations and deployments on AWS.
- They must be able to migrate on-premises workloads to AWS
- They can estimate usage costs and identify operational cost control methods.
- Must prove knowledge of deploying, operating and managing highly available, scalable and fault-tolerant systems on AWS.
AWS Certified Developer — Associate
- This is for individuals who hold a development role and have at least one or more years of experience developing and maintaining AWS-based applications.
- Display a basic understanding of core AWS services, uses, and basic AWS architecture best practices.
- Demonstrate that they are capable of developing, deploying, and debugging cloud-based applications using AWS
AWS Certified Solutions Architect — Professional
- Individuals in a professional solutions architect role have two or more years of experience operating and managing systems on AWS.
- They must be able to design and deploy scalable, highly available, and fault-tolerant applications on AWS.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of migrating complex, multi-tier applications on AWS
- They are responsible for implementing cost-control strategies.
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer — Professional
- Intended for individuals who have a DevOps engineer role and two or more years of experience operating, provisioning and managing AWS environments.
- They are able to implement and manage continuous delivery systems and methodologies on AWS.
- Additionally, they must be able to implement and automate security controls, governance processes, and compliance validation.
- Can deploy and define metrics, monitoring and logging systems on AWS.
- Are responsible for designing, managing, and maintaining tools that automate operational processes.
AWS Certified Advanced Networking — Speciality
- Intended for individuals who perform intricate networking tasks.
- Design, develop, and deploy cloud-based solutions using AWS
- Design and maintain network architecture for all AWS services
- Leverage tools to automate AWS networking tasks
AWS Certified Big Data — Speciality
- For individuals who perform complex Big Data analyses and have at least two years of experience using AWS.
- Implement core AWS Big Data services according to basic architecture best practices
- Design and maintain Big Data
- Leverage tools to automate data analysis
AWS Certified Security — Speciality
- Individuals who have a security role and at least two years of hands-on experience securing AWS workloads.
- Exhibit an understanding of specialized data classifications and AWS data protection mechanisms as well as data encryption methods and secure Internet protocols and AWS mechanisms to implement them
- Knowledge of AWS security services and features to provide a secure production environment
- An understanding of security operations and risk
AWS Certified Machine Learning — Speciality
- Intended for individuals in a development or data science role.
- Ability to design, implement, deploy and maintain machine learning solutions for specific business problems.
AWS Certified Alexa Skill Builder — Speciality
- Intended for individuals who have a role as an Alexa skill builder.
- Individuals have demonstrated an ability to design, build, test, publish and manage Amazon Alexa skills.
Microsoft Azure Certifications
Following the Azure learning path under Microsoft, there are certifications available that allow you to demonstrate your expertise in Microsoft cloud-related technologies and advance your career by earning one of the new Azure role-based certifications or an Azure-related certification in platform, development, or data.
Azure Solutions Architect Expert
- Intended for individuals that have an expertise in network, compute, security and storage so that they can design solutions that run on Azure
- Individuals will prove their understanding of cloud concepts, Azure pricing and support, core Azure services, as well as the fundamentals of cloud privacy, security, trust and compliance.
Azure DevOps Engineer Expert
- Individuals will demonstrate an ability to combine people, process, and technologies to continuously deliver valuable products and services that meet business objectives in addition to end user needs.
Azure Developer Associate
- For individuals that can design, build, test and maintain cloud solutions — such as applications and services — and partner with cloud solutions architects, cloud administrators, cloud DBAs, and clients in order to implement these solutions.
Azure Data Scientist Associate
- Intended for individuals that apply Azure’s machine learning techniques to train, evaluate, and deploy models that will ultimately help solve business problems.
Azure Data Engineer Associate
- For individuals that design and implement the management, security, monitoring, and privacy of data — using the full stack of Azure data services — to satisfy business needs.
Azure AI Engineer Associate
- Intended for individuals that use Machine Learning, Knowledge Mining, and Cognitive Services to architect and implement Microsoft AI solutions — this involves natural language processing, computer vision, speech, agents and bots.
Azure Administrator Associate
- Individuals must demonstrate their ability to implement, monitor and maintain Azure solutions — this includes major services related to storage, compute, security and network.
Azure Security Engineer Associate
- Individuals are expected to be able to implement security controls and threat protection, manage identity and access. Additionally, they must be able to protect data, applications, and networks in the cloud as well as hybrid environments as part of end-to-end infrastructure.
Azure for SAP Workloads Specialty
- In this specialty, architects have extensive experience and knowledge of the SAP Landscape Certification process and industry standards that are specific and critical to the long-term operation of an SAP solution.
Azure IoT Developer Specialty
- In this specialty, individuals must prove that they understand how to implement the Azure services that form an IoT solution — this includes data analysis, data processing, data storage options, and PaaS options.
- Must be able to recognize Azure IoT service configuration settings within the code portion of an IoT solution.
Google offers three different levels of available certifications:
Associate certification — focused on the fundamental skills of deploying, monitoring, and maintaining projects on Google Cloud.
- This certification is a good starting point for those new to cloud and can be used as a path to professional level certifications.
- Recommended experience: 6+ months building on Google Cloud
Professional certification — span key technical job functions and assess advanced skills in design, implementation, and management.
- These certifications are recommended for individuals with industry experience and familiarity with Google Cloud products and solutions.
- Recommended experience: 3+ years of industry experience, including 1+ years on Google Cloud
User certification — intended for individuals with experience using G Suite and determines an individual’s ability to use core collaboration tools.
- Recommended experience: Completion of Applied Digital Skills training course and G Suite Essentials quest, and 1+ months on G Suite.
Associate Cloud Engineer
- Intended for individuals that can deploy applications, monitor operations, and manage enterprise solutions.
- Individuals display an ability to use the Google Cloud Console and the command-line interface to perform common platform-based tasks to maintain one or more deployed solutions that leverage Google-managed or self-managed services on Google Cloud.
- Individuals display an ability to set up a cloud solution environment, plan and configure a cloud solution, deploy and implement a cloud solution, ensure successful operation of a cloud solution, and configure access and security.
Professional Cloud Architect
- For individuals that enable organizations to leverage Google Cloud technologies.
- These individuals can design, develop, and manage secure, scalable, and highly available solutions that drive business objectives.
- Individuals display an ability to design and plan a cloud solution architecture, manage and provision the cloud solution infrastructure, design for security and compliance, analyze and optimize technical and business processes, manage implementations of cloud architecture, and ensure solution and operations reliability.
Professional Cloud Developer
- These individuals build scalable and highly available applications using Google recommended practices and tools that leverage fully managed services.
- Have experience with next generation databases, runtime environments, and developer tools.
- Have proficiency with at least one general purpose programming language and are skilled in using Stackdriver.
- Individuals display an ability to design highly scalable, available, and reliable cloud-native applications, build and test applications, deploy applications, integrate Google Cloud Platform services, and manage application performance monitoring.
Professional Data Engineer
- Intended for individuals that enable data-driven decision making by collecting, transforming, and publishing data.
- Individuals should be able to design, build, operate, manage, and monitor secure data processing systems.
- Individuals display an ability to design data processing systems, build and operationalize data processing systems, operationalize machine learning models, and ensure solution quality.
Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer
- Individuals are responsible for efficient development operations that can balance service reliability and delivery speed.
- Individuals are expected to be skilled in using Google Cloud Platform to build software delivery pipelines, deploy and monitor services, and manage and learn from incidents.
- Individuals display an ability to apply site reliability engineering principles to a service, optimize service performance, implement service monitoring strategies, build and implement CI/CD pipelines for a service, and manage service incidents.
Professional Cloud Security Engineer
- Intended for individuals that enable organizations to design and implement a secure infrastructure on Google Cloud Platform.
- They are expected to have a thorough understanding of security best practices and industry security requirements.
- These individuals design, develop, and manage a secure infrastructure leveraging Google security technologies and should be proficient in all aspects of Cloud Security.
- Individuals display an ability to configure access within a cloud solution environment, configure network security, ensure data protection, manage operations within a cloud solution environment and ensure compliance.
Professional Cloud Network Engineer
- Intended for individuals who implement and manage network architectures in Google Cloud Platform.
- These individuals ensure successful cloud implementations using the command line interface or the Google Cloud Platform Console.
- Individuals display an ability to design, plan, and prototype a GCP Network, implement a GCP Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), configure network services and implement hybrid interconnectivity.
Professional Collaboration Engineer
- Intended for individuals that transform business objectives into tangible configurations, policies, and security practices as they relate to users, content, and integrations.
- Individuals use tools, programming languages, and APIs to automate workflows.
- Individuals display an ability to plan and implement G Suite authorization and access, manage user, resource, and Team Drive lifecycles, manage mail, control and configure G Suite services, configure and manage endpoint access, monitor organizational operations and advance G Suite adoption and collaboration.
G Suite User — User Certification
- This certification lets employers know that you possess the digital skills to work collaboratively and productively in a professional environment, complete common workplace activities using cloud-based tools to create and share documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and files.
Where to Start
If you aren’t sure where to start, each cloud provider offers a certification that only requires a basic understanding of the platform and are a great way to help you get the ball rolling in your cloud certification journey. The three certifications for beginners are: AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner, Microsoft Certified Azure Fundamentals, and Google Associate Cloud Engineer. Good luck!
Originally published at www.parkmycloud.com on January 17, 2020.